Tender Stuffed Cornish Hens
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in the soup, mushrooms and prepared rice.
- Sprinkle inside and outside of hens with salt and pepper. Stuff with rice mixture. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan; cover with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 769 calories, 46 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 257 mg cholesterol, 1,618 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 45 g protein.
Jul 18, 2012
The rice was excellant. I'd make that again just as a side dish. I had never stuffed a bird before and wasn't very impressed with wih the results. As the birds cooked, the juices pooled at the bottom and I couldn't bring myself to eat the nasty rice from inside the bird. Luckily I had only cooked 2 birds so I had plenty of rice left over. Next time I'll cook them separate. I had to increase the temp to 400 when they were supposed to be done and cooked another 17 minutes.
Mar 28, 2011
I made a few changes with this recipe and it turned out delicious. I eliminated the mushrooms because I don't like them and I changed the soup to Cream of Celery. I also found that I needed to cook them quite a bit longer than the recipe said. At the time when they should have been done, I increased the heat to 350 and cooked an additional 30 minutes or so. Very good, the rice stuffing is delicious and the Cornish hen very moist and flavorful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.