Tender Stuffed Cornish Hens
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in the soup, mushrooms and prepared rice.
- Sprinkle inside and outside of hens with salt and pepper. Stuff with rice mixture. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan; cover with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 769 calories, 46 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 257 mg cholesterol, 1,618 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 45 g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 18, 2012
The rice was excellant. I'd make that again just as a side dish. I had never stuffed a bird before and wasn't very impressed with wih the results. As the birds cooked, the juices pooled at the bottom and I couldn't bring myself to eat the nasty rice from inside the bird. Luckily I had only cooked 2 birds so I had plenty of rice left over. Next time I'll cook them separate. I had to increase the temp to 400 when they were supposed to be done and cooked another 17 minutes.
Mar 28, 2011
I made a few changes with this recipe and it turned out delicious. I eliminated the mushrooms because I don't like them and I changed the soup to Cream of Celery. I also found that I needed to cook them quite a bit longer than the recipe said. At the time when they should have been done, I increased the heat to 350 and cooked an additional 30 minutes or so. Very good, the rice stuffing is delicious and the Cornish hen very moist and flavorful.