Stuffed Cornish Hens
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- In a small skillet, saute onion and rice in 2 tablespoons butter until rice is browned. Add the water, soup, lemon juice, chives, parsley and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Sprinkle hen cavities with salt and pepper; stuff with rice mixture. Place with breast side up on a rack in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Melt remaining butter and add tarragon; brush some over the hens.
- Cover loosely and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting frequently with tarragon butter.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2014
Very good I have made this several times. A great alternative to chicken and dressing. Very pretty presentation when serving to guest.
May 31, 2014
Have made these many, many times--a family favorite!
Nov 12, 2011
my husband loves this. making for family tonight. i always make extra rice stuffing its so good.
Sep 9, 2010
Chicken was moist and tender. Very flavorful! Stuffing was delicious. Will definitely make again.