Stuffed Cornish Hens
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- In a small skillet, saute onion and rice in 2 tablespoons butter until rice is browned. Add the water, soup, lemon juice, chives, parsley and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Sprinkle hen cavities with salt and pepper; stuff with rice mixture. Place with breast side up on a rack in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Melt remaining butter and add tarragon; brush some over the hens.
- Cover loosely and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting frequently with tarragon butter.
Dec 28, 2014
Very good I have made this several times. A great alternative to chicken and dressing. Very pretty presentation when serving to guest.
May 31, 2014
Have made these many, many times--a family favorite!
Nov 12, 2011
my husband loves this. making for family tonight. i always make extra rice stuffing its so good.
Sep 9, 2010
Chicken was moist and tender. Very flavorful! Stuffing was delicious. Will definitely make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.