Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
THIS ENTREE makes an ordinary day special. Whenever I cook Cornish hens for my husband and me, it stirs up warm memories of family times around the holiday dinner table. I bake the extra stuffing separately so we're sure to have enough. -Nancy Aubrey, Ruidoso, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- In a large skillet or saucepan, saute celery and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in cornbread, bread crumbs, pimientos, broth, egg, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- Stuff each hen with 3/4 cup stuffing. Place extra stuffing in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; refrigerate. Place hens breast side up on a rack in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover loosely with foil; bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; add garlic, lemon zest, mint and remaining salt and pepper. Brush over hens. Bake 15-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. Bake the extra stuffing, covered, for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 1728 calories, 106g fat (44g saturated fat), 601mg cholesterol, 3675mg sodium, 106g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 82g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Cornish Game Hens in Reminisce Extra December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.