Cornish Hens with Rice Dressing
THIS IS a perfect main dish when you're cooking for two. I've even used these hens as a stand-in for turkey on Thanksgiving Day when the group was not large. I found this recipe among my mother's collection. She was always searching newspapers and magazines for new cooking ideas. —Geraldine Grisdale Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 Cornish hens (1 to 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Pepper to taste
- In an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish, combine the broth, rice, mushrooms, celery, onion, 1/4 teaspoon marjoram and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place hens on rice mixture and brush with oil. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining marjoram and salt.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Rice Dressing in Reminisce Extra December 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.