Barbecued Cornish Hens
I came up with this recipe when I was just a teenager and have made it quite often since then. —Diane Widmer, Blue Island, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Rub Cornish hens with butter; sprinkle salt and pepper inside cavity and over skin. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Baste hens with sauce. Bake 45 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180°, basting frequently.
Originally published as Indiana Barbecue Hens in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.