Wild Rice Stuffed Cornish Hens
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 1 hour 5 min.
- 5-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water, bouillon and salt to a boil. Add wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add long grain rice; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in rice mixture. Spoon about 3/4 cup stuffing into each hen.
- Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover and set aside. Place hens breast side up on a rack in shallow baking pan; tie drumsticks together. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring preserves and remaining water to a boil. Pour over hens. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Place baking dish of stuffing in the oven for the last 35-40 minutes of hens' baking time.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 2,032 calories, 118 g fat (34 g saturated fat), 770 mg cholesterol, 1,595 mg sodium, 95 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 139 g protein.
Dec 7, 2018
Everyone LOVED this recipe! We all loved the stuffing so much so that it is now the ONLY stuffing recipe used at holidays. But I always add the apricot glaze over the stuffing because that takes it from great to amazing!
Dec 4, 2018
This was interesting. I left out the sausage but loved the apricot preserves with it.
Jan 22, 2012
This recipe was sooooo good.. My family raved about it. I also used the Herbed cornish hens recipe for the basting . I ran out of butter, imagine that, so I used olive oil instead....It was delicous!!!!!!!