Cornish Hens with Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-8 hours
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 large red potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Lemon-pepper seasoning and garlic powder to taste
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, brown hens in oil. Place the potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with the hens and bacon. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° and potatoes are tender. Thicken the cooking juices if desired. Sprinkle the hens with parsley.
May 5, 2015
I cooked a 5 pound chicken in a slow cooker instead of the hens. The spices were a little too mild, but the crumbled bacon was delicious! I would add chicken broth and a bit more spice next time to give the other flavors a boost. I would also try turning this into a casserole by shredding the chicken and topping it with the bacon and cheddar cheese.
Jul 20, 2011
i too was unimpressed. It was edible, but nothing to rave about. I felt it too bland and tasted more like boiled chicken than anything else.
Apr 25, 2010
A Benedict, you said what I was thinking! I made this today for the first time. Thankful that it was only DH and I here, and we didn't have company. They looked pale and awful, as did everything that came out of the crockpot. I did recipe exactly according to directions. It smelled up my kitchen something awful. DH said "Maybe this would have been edible, but the presentation looks AWFUL when the stuff comes out of the crockpot. We threw it all in the garbage and found some junk food to eat, instead. I lit a candle to clear the stench from the kitchen. DH saw me with a match and said "What are you trying to do, burn the recipe?" Don't waste your money on this one, folks.
Feb 6, 2010
My hens did not look anything like the picture; they were bland despite using 2 tsps each of lemon pepper and garlic powder. The hens looked pale and sickly. I won't do hens in slow cooker again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.