- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a 4-qt. or 13x9-in. glass dish, layer the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sugar; spoon over salad, spreading to cover.
- Sprinkle top with cheese, bacon and cranberries. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Overnight Layered Lettuce Salad
"You can't go wrong with bacon and cheese! I like to add a pressed clove of garlic, a tsp each of seasoned salt, ground black pepper and dried dill weed, and a dash of red wine vinegar to the dressing for some zip. Great recipe."
"I subbed romaine for the iceberg lettuce. Family likes it better. I've been making this salad for years. I usually put broccoli or cauliflower in it, but I didn't this time. I thought the cranberries was a nice touch."
"This is the best layered salad (IMHO). Do add the cranberries, they make it special. This is good as a family supper, just add some cooked diced chicken and crusty bread on the side."
"Oh yum! This was awesome. Thanks for hard-boiled egg suggestion. This will definitely be a summer staple!"
"I first tasted this at a community potluck, it is delicious, and simple.......5 Stars!"
"I've been making this salad for years, it's great when you are feeding a crowd since you can make it the day before. I've stopped using iceberg lettuce and use romaine and sometimes even a bit of spinach; the darker lettuce seems to have a bit more flavour. You can definitely play around with the veggies you use except of course for the frozen peas. I also use three hard boiled eggs, grated just before serving for a bit of additional garnish. I put in a tin of sliced water chestnuts because I like the crunch but if you are not a water chestnut fan, leave them out,"
"Was a huge success..the bacon mixed with the dried cranberries gave it a very good taste"
"Love this! was a big hit at work, I made it with half mayo and half greek yogurt"
"My Aunt gave me this recipe 30 years ago. I like that it's an "overnighter" easy to grab & go to a picnic. I don't add the cranberries, still delicious."