Overnight Fruit Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a double boiler over medium heat, cook and stir eggs, sugar and vinegar until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine grapes, marshmallows, pineapple, oranges and bananas; add cooled dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped cream and pecans.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 244 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 19, 2019
Loved it! A nice treat.
May 12, 2018
It is a wonderful salad or dessert...In earlier years I added a coup or more of cooked white rice and it is delicious as well.
May 12, 2018
This has become a family favorite, and I make it every year for our Thanksgiving dinner. I add some red fruit, like raspberries and sometimes strawberries for additional color.
May 2, 2018
Like my mom’s from the early 1950
Mar 23, 2018
This was just delicious. It's going into my Pinterest account for future reference. I got the perfect pot for it. The nonstick type means simple and easy cleanup.
Jan 20, 2018
Its a great salad to eat. Its not a heavy salad
Jan 17, 2018
I do not have a double boiler. Is stovetop ok ? Thanks
Nov 28, 2017
This was excellent! I'm not a big fan of fruit salad, but I loved this. I took another reviewer's suggestion and added the bananas when I added the whipped cream and pecans.
May 15, 2017
OMG! This is MaMa's Salad! (with the exception of the bananas and pecans) I don't know of anyone else ever making this! This is a favorite in my husband's family. We fight over the leftovers!!! Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing!!
May 14, 2017
This is the most awesome salad my family went crazy over it. This one will replace my regular Christmas salad. Such a lovely old fashioned salad. ( To James: any white or apple cider vinegar will work, I personally used the white vinegar).