Overnight Layered Lettuce Salad
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a 4-qt. or 13x9-in. glass dish, layer the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sugar; spoon over salad, spreading to cover.
- 2. Sprinkle top with cheese, bacon and cranberries. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
1 cup: 206 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 28, 2018
I mix 1 cup Hellmann's and 1 cup sour cream with 1 pkg Hidden Valley Dressing mix - Yum!
Dec 31, 1969
I use green onions, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Then I slice a cucumber in half and rim the bowl. Adds a pretty fresh look and taste
Mar 11, 2017
I used green onion, instead of regular onion because I wanted a milder onion flavor and I omitted the cranberries. Delicious!
Jan 2, 2017
This have been a family favorite for years. This is a must for any potluck.
Dec 13, 2016
I'm not a big fan of salads but I loved this!! I served it for my church group carry in and I left out the bacon since there were some vegetatarians in the group. Even without bacon this tastes great and it's so easy to put together!
Oct 29, 2016
A wonderful tasting salad. Left out the peppers. But used everything else. Really like the review with the hard cooked eggs added (sounds delicious). Thanks a million to the person who submitted this one! Was a real hit at our dinner party.
Oct 9, 2016
You can't go wrong with bacon and cheese! I like to add a pressed clove of garlic, a tsp each of seasoned salt, ground black pepper and dried dill weed, and a dash of red wine vinegar to the dressing for some zip. Great recipe.
Sep 25, 2016
I subbed romaine for the iceberg lettuce. Family likes it better. I've been making this salad for years. I usually put broccoli or cauliflower in it, but I didn't this time. I thought the cranberries was a nice touch.
Jun 22, 2016
This is the best layered salad (IMHO). Do add the cranberries, they make it special. This is good as a family supper, just add some cooked diced chicken and crusty bread on the side.
Jun 11, 2016
Oh yum! This was awesome. Thanks for hard-boiled egg suggestion. This will definitely be a summer staple!