- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 7 large eggs, divided use
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk five eggs. Pour into same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk remaining eggs, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 2/3 cup cheese, sausage and scrambled eggs.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high for 45-60 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for On-the-Go Breakfast Muffins
"I made these when we had family staying wit us and most every one enjoyed them. Some loved them and others thought they were just okay. For a make a head breakfast option that can just be heated up and eaten I thought they were pretty good. My husband said it would be great smothered with breakfast gravy."
"Great recipe...sweet and savory at the same time. We used precooked sliced link sausages, because that's what my kiddos prefer. Also added a bit more shredded cheese on top. Perfect recipe to make/save on a weekend and serve on a busy weekday morning as you're running out the door!"
"Love it and will keep this recipe handy, hubby even likes it and he is picky. Am going to try it with bacon. Thank you for great recipe"
"I made these for my son because he is such a pain in the morning. I like them, my husband likes them, but my son says he does not like them. It makes no sense b/c he loves sausage, eggs, cheese, etc., but alas I still haven't found the miracle breakfast yet."
"These are great for traveling and eating on the go. I used 1/4 raw sugar and whole wheat flour. Super healthy shot of protein. We also made them with ground turkey seasoned like sausage (for non-pork eaters in the family) and they were yummy! Seasoned the ground turkey the day before to let it marinate, then browned it just like sausage. They do freeze well, too."
"Not a keeper for me. Mine turned out heavy and dry. Two things come to mind. My baking powder is old; may have stirred the mixture too much. Also something told me too much meat.. Wish I would have used 1/2 pound instead."
"I've made thee several times now and my family and guests just love them! I use the recipe as a guide but will add different meats if thats what I have on hand. I season evey layer well with garlic, salt & pepper, and herbs. I have also made them gluten free/dairy free and they also get a rave revie. They freeze and reheat very well also."
"My family enjoyed these muffins with salsa. The leftover muffins were easily reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds. I was only able to get a dozen muffins from this recipe."