Streusel Pumpkin Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, molasses and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture just until blended. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 229 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Nov 8, 2015
Wow! These muffins are great! My husband and I really enjoyed the hint of orange and molasses, and we both agreed that this is our new favorite. I added 1/4 c. cinnamon chips to the batter and sprinkled a few more over the streusel before baking, which I will definitely do again.
Nov 7, 2014
Delicious! I made these muffins just as written and will definitely make them often. Not as dense as my other muffins recipes, due to less pumpkin.
Oct 4, 2014
These were really good. I did omit the orange zest and I added a maple cream cheese filling. AMAZING........................
Apr 29, 2014
Excellent recipe. This is exactly what I am looking for. Perfect amount of sweetness. Friends and family loved them. It?s definitely a keeper.
Apr 18, 2013
YUMMMS.These were so delicious, the streusel topping was amazing, although I made half without it and stirred in some raisins and they turned out just as great.Only ingredient I would omit next time would be the orange zest, a little too citrusy for me.I also made these without the molasses since I did not have any at hand.Thanks for the recipe!!!
Nov 19, 2012
So tender and delicious - I think they are going to be my favorite pumpkin muffin. Use the greater amount of pumpkin pie spice in the recipe - it makes it so much more flavorful (I have made it both ways). Very good!
Oct 7, 2012
Everyone in my family loves these muffins!
Feb 15, 2012
This recipe is great. Everyone who had a taste of it, keeps asking for more.
Nov 26, 2011
Made these for my family because I had extra pumpkin in the refrigerator. I over beat them by accident, instead of hand mixing them, but they were still a big hit! Also, I had a lot of left over topping, so I'm going to half that next time. Very good overall! Will make again most likely
Oct 29, 2011
Best pumpkin muffin recipe I've ever made! Not only best tasting, but not too dense and heavy. I did prepare it in the quick bread method (combine dry ingredients, combine wet ingredients including melted butter, and stir the wet into the dry ingrendients). I also added a handful of chopped walnuts to the batter.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.