When the leaves turn orange and the air gets crisp, that means one thing: It’s time to eat everything pumpkin. These drool-worthy pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are the perfect way to start the season and enjoy fall’s flavors. They’re great as a morning treat when you’re in need of something quick, or as a simple, sweet dessert to end the day. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Semisweet chocolate chips: Semisweet chocolate chips are made of dark chocolate and sugar. There are other chocolate chip varieties you could pick from, but semisweet will add more depth of flavor to your muffins.
- Canned pumpkin: You can make your own pumpkin puree, but canned pumpkin is an easier and faster alternative.
- Ground cinnamon: Cinnamon is the perfect spice for these fall-themed muffins. Classic cinnamon perfectly marries the flavors of pumpkin and chocolate, ensuring your muffins will taste like autumn in every bite.
Step 1: Combine the egg mixture
Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth.
Step 2: Combine the flour mixture
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, mixing well.TMB Studio
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Fill muffin cups
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full with the batter. You should have about 24 muffins total.
Step 4: Bake your muffins
Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center of each comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
Step 5: Cool your muffins
Cool muffins in the muffin tray for 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack.
- Add more chocolate chips: Want your muffins to have more chocolate in every bite? Simply add more chocolate chips to your batter.
- Add different kinds of chips: Want to mix things up? Add different kinds of chips to your muffins. We would recommend hazelnut chocolate chips or butterscotch chips.
- Add fruit: Want to add some subtle sweetness to your muffins? Add sliced bananas or blueberries to your batter.
- Add nuts: You can’t go wrong with adding chopped walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans to your muffin batter. Nuts will give your muffins an extra crunch (and some protein!).
How to Store Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins can be cooled and stored in an airtight container in the fridge or at room temperature for up to four days.
How to Freeze Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
You can also freeze your muffins for up to three months. Here’s more on how to freeze and thaw your fave muffins.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Tips
Can I make this pumpkin chocolate chip muffins recipe with applesauce?
Yes, you can swap out the oil in this recipe for applesauce, used in the same amount. Or you can simply use half oil and half applesauce.
Can I leave out the chocolate chips?
Yes, you can leave out the chocolate chips from this recipe! If chocolate just isn’t your thing, make the recipe as directed, simply omitting the chocolate chips.