Streusel-Topped Plum Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh plums
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream. Fold in plums. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 255 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 4, 2019
holy almond extract! I should have known better.. edible, but in no way a keeper or award winning.. t
Sep 21, 2013
I used a mixture of plums and nectarines, and the muffins were excellent. They were devoured minutes after putting a plate of them out for my family.
Aug 7, 2013
I think it would be helpful to add "firm" to the "fresh plums" in the instructions. I purchased plums at a Farmer's Market in my area; the fruit was ripe. I had quite a mess on my hands--juice everywhere when I began cutting the plums. I drained them, even tried to squeeze out more of the juice, as I was afraid that so much would affect the batter. The plums disintegrated when I tried to fold them into the batter. The cake itself was very nice, delicate. I'm undecided whether to make this recipe again; if I do, I may try another fruit.
Aug 18, 2012
Made this using peaches instead -- Yum!
Jan 9, 2012
We have 3 Italian prune plum trees and these are a fantastic way to use them up. I make them every Fall. Very tender, almost cake-like muffin
Jul 7, 2011
This is the perfect recipe to use with Santa Rosa Plums. The raw batter with the plums does not taste so good, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out how good the muffins tasted right out of the oven.The plums were starting to become over-ripe, so instead of chopping them, I put them in the blender. For the topping, I used pecans instead of the walnuts because I like pecans better. Fabulous, simply fabulous.
Sep 21, 2010
Great flavor, super easy! I used milk instead of the cream and they turned out perfect. It's a keeper!