Cranberry Sourdough Muffins with Streusel Topping
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- Let Sourdough Starter come to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour and cinnamon; cut in cold butter until crumbly. Stir in hazelnuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining flour. In another bowl, whisk egg, melted butter and orange zest until blended; stir in Sourdough Starter. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and apricots.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with hazelnut mixture.
- Bake 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
May 18, 2016
These were really yummy! I did have to make a couple of substitutions due to lack of ingredients.....I used coconut oil in place of the butter for the muffin batter, left out the hazelnut since I didn't have any on hand, used some dried cranberries and then in place of the apricots I grated a medium sized apple. My kids and husband all loved them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.