- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mother's Ham Casserole
"Best casserole I've ever tasted. It's not fancy, but it's delicious and comforting. I used orange bell pepper (because that's what I had on hand), and omitted the salt like another reviewer suggested. (It was plenty salty.) Instead of boiling the veggies, I roasted them in the oven. I used Mexican blend cheese (again, because that's what I had)/ All I can say is, "Wow!" I will definitely make this again."
"Very good. Next time I make it I plan to top it with stove top stuffing. A good winters evening supper"
"This is super yummy!! I didn't have celery and had a red bell pepper instead of green. Other than that, followed the recipe and this came out fantastic!! The pepper gives it a different taste than usual ham leftover recipes. This is a keeper!!!"
"This was really good. Reminded me of a hearty potato soup. While I was making I thought it was a lot of trouble and a lot of dishes but totally worth it. Amazing! (Oh I skipped the green peppers and added broccoli)"
"This is a great meal to eat on a cold day with left over ham! I cut back on the butter as well and added an extra carrot. I used the bread crumbs but I think that French's Onions, crushed potatoe chips or crushed butter crackers would also be good. I will definitely make this again!"