Minted Beet Salad Recipe
We have neighbors who share vegetables from their garden, and every year my husband and I look forward to their beets. My interest in Mediterranean food inspired this beet salad recipe—the vinegar and oil dressing with fresh mint tones down the sweetness of the beets and the kalamata olives add a salty touch.—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 5 medium fresh beets (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint, divided
- Scrub beets; trim tops to 1 in. Place in a single layer in a large microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with water. Microwave, covered, on high 14-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, turning once; let stand 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and cut beets into 3/4-in. pieces. In a bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, salt and pepper until blended. Add olives, beets and 1 tablespoon mint; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or until cold. Top with remaining mint. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Minted Beet Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014, p1-24
Reviews for Minted Beet Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review