- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, rice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-9 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese, sour cream and green onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Mexican Beans and Rice
"Great foundation recipe. I added garlic, black beans ,and chilies, doulbled chili powder, doubled veggies, added a drizzle of avacado oil,and used basmati rice. Outstanding!"
"This was delicious! We used white rice instead of brown and tomatoes with chiles. Next time I'd like to try it with pinto beans. Also, subbed soy sauce for Worcestershire since I was out."
"I thought this was easy and delicious. I added jalapeños to the veggies and we ate it with garlic bread. So good."
"Definitely easy to fix. Tasted pretty good. Some garlic, hot sauce, and maybe some green chiles could punch up the flavor a bit. Very healthy with all of the veggies and brown rice."
"I found this recipe to be unpleasantly wet and gloppy and without any actual 'mexican' flavor. Even after adding more chili powder, cumin and finally a packet of Sazon, it just tasted like bland rice which i was never able to get to dry out sufficiently. Will not make again."
"This was good. Added the tomatoes with chilis and 1lb of smoked sausage cut into small pieces."
"This was a great recipe to use up my miscellaneous vegetables and canned goods. You can't really go wrong. Adjust the herbs and seasoning to your liking and don't forget to add fresh ginger, yum!"
"This was a great dish, and I'm so glad I have leftovers for tomorrow! Wouldn't change a thing in the recipe."
"Yum! Perfect healthy comfort food. I didn't have celery, green onions, or sour cream and it was still awesome. I did add extra spices, cumin and oregano, and half of a taco seasoning packet. I will use tomatoes w/ green chiles next time. Can't wait for leftovers."
"My husband and I loved this quick and easy dish! I will definitely be making this again."