I CAME UP WITH this recipe after being challenged to find different ways to cook this plentiful summer vegetable. At first, I decided to add zucchini to my meat loaf recipe...then it occurred to me to reverse the process and put the meat loaf into the zucchini! It was an instant hit. -Ruth Fluckiger, Tolland, Connecticut
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 pound ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Chop pulp; set pulp and shells aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add pulp, bread crumbs, milk and dill. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Zucchini in Reminisce Extra August 1998, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Stuffed Zucchini
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review