Meat Loaf Potato Surprise Recipe
Meet the Cook: Although I'm retired after years teaching school, my days continue to be full. So easy dishes like this still are a blessing to me. My husband - who's a meat loaf lover - and I have five grown children and eight grandchildren.—Lois Gallup Edwards, Woodland, California
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbs, broth, egg and seasonings; let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 10-in. square. Combine hash browns, cheese, parsley and onion salt; spoon over meat.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, removing waxed paper as you roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal; place with seam side down in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Combine the first three sauce ingredients; spoon over loaf. Return to the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meat Loaf Potato Surprise in Country Woman March/April 1996, p29
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Potato Surprise
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review