- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Cook beef in drippings over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Toss mushrooms, onion, carrot and celery in flour; add to skillet with the broth, Worcestershire sauce, tarragon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add bacon; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine potatoes and 1/2 cup of cheese; spread over beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mashed Potato Beef Casserole
Sort By :
"I have made this dish many times now, and it has become a favorite of mine. Very close to one of my Cottage Pie recipes, but a lot more liquid in it. I add a touch more flour so it is till juicy, but not the consistency of my Cottage Pie. I do change ingredients a bit when I am craving a different flavor, but one constant change is the addition of at least a tbsp of crushed or minced garlic. Most often I also add a good glob of any bbq sauce, and often a squirt of liquid smoke. Another trick you might like is at the end to give the recipe a quick 5 min or so under the broiler before, after or both of adding the cheese. The little crunch of the top is a nice feature."
"Made this last night. I did not use the bacon; I saw no need for it. I used Simply Potatoes for my mashed potatoes and it came out wonderful. I did not use as much cheese and it still tasted good."
"we didn't hate it but I wouldn't make this again without substantial changes, very bland"
"A bit watery in the beef after it bakes but maybe I did something wrong. It's still a yummy recipe."
"I liked it at first, by the time I was done I loved it."