This slimmed-down version of a savory supper has just half the calories, 20% of the fat, 15% of the saturated fat and about 40% of the cholesterol. Yet the full-flavor result is one her family—and your—can enjoy without the guilt.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 3/4 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, red pepper and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain and return to the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, half-and-half, milk, wine or chicken broth, cheese, salt, pepper and paprika until blended. Add to the sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine sausage mixture and pasta. Before serving, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p14
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review