- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, lemon juice and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the zucchini, poppy seeds and lemon peel.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forLemony Zucchini Bread
"A mild lemony bread. I think next time I will make a lemon glaze to top it with as someone suggested."
"I recall preparing this bread when it was featured in Taste of Home. I did make adjustments to this recipe by using EITHER vanilla OR lemon instant pudding mix. If zucchini was not available, I used 2 cups shredded apple. I'd also added: 1-1/2 tsp. each lemon extract, butter or rum extract and almond extract and at least 1/8 to 1/4 cup poppy seeds. I baked loaves 65 to 70 minutes at 350o F. in 2 greased and floured 9x5x3" loaf pans. I used a cake tester to determine doneness! delowenstein"
"I'm surprised this received such high reviews. My family was unimpressed with this bread. Not a lot of flavor and really nothing special."
"This is about the only kind of zuccini bread i make! My husband never wants anything different.Hint: 1 fresh lemon is what you need for the juice and zest."
"My kids and I absolutely LOVE this recipe! I have made this several times now. I have made a few changes though: I use either french or regular instant vanilla (vs. lemon) pudding. Instead of 1.5 c. sugar, I use 1/2 c. sugar & 1 c. brown sugar. Instead of 4 c. flour, I use 3 c. flour & 1 c. whole wheat flour. I use 3 c. (vs. just 2 c.) shredded zucchini. Also--instead of making two 9x5" loaves, I place the entire batter into a large bundt cake pan (sprayed heavily with Pam) and bake at 350 degrees for a good 55-65 minutes (or until knife comes out clean). This is so moist and delicious - LOVE the addition of the poppyseeds too! My kids gobble up this bread/cake in no time!"
"Mmm so good! Just the right flavor of lemon-froze the other loaf."
"This was really easy and it made two big loaves. It was very moist. I have one loaf in the freezer and I will probably make a little glaze for it when I use it as someone suggested."
"A friend told me about this bread, and that brought me to this site. It is DELICIOUS, and so bright-tasting! Definitely a keeper!"
"I've made this twice and both times the bread has disappeared! Very moist and flavorful. I do add extra lemon zest as I love lemon!"
"I made this for the farmer's market and it sold out!"