- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, lemon juice and peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Combine glaze ingredients. Remove bread from pan; immediately drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Lemon Bread(68)
Sort By :
AMAZING!! My family enjoys lemon so we LOVE this recipe! Truly a quick bread, the longest part is grating the lemon peel!!:) Making these for Christmas gifts this year for my grandmother and great grandmother along with a hand-knitted dishcloth! I'm sure it will be a big hit!!
Wonderful recipe and easy!! I followed this exactly, but did add a bit of lemon zest to the glaze, and also put the glaze over it while it was still warm. Very good!!!
A post script: I drizzled the lemon glaze over the baked bread before allowing the bread to cool 10 minutes! When I added my eggs to creamed sugar & butter or shortening, I added the 3 Tbsp. milk-if using 2 eggs, you can decrease this amount to about 1 Tbsp. + 1-1/2 tsp. milk!
thank you for sharing this recipe, Kathy!
Actually, I have used this recipe recently-the first time, I'd used the single recipe; then I doubled it. I DID make adjustments to suit my tastes as I have a very similar recipe for lemon bread from 1975!
Here are my adaptations: 1/2 cup butter or
shortening to 1 cup(doubled)
1 cup sugar to 2 cups (doubled)
2 eggs to 4 eggs (doubled)
3 Tbsp. milk
Juice from one large lemon, strained
1/2 cup sugar for lemon glaze
Rind from 1 large lemon-used the grated lemon for the lemon glaze
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour to 3 cups(doubled)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder to 1 Tbsp. (doubled)
1 tsp. salt if recipe is doubled; 1/2 tsp. in just using single ingredients
1/2 cup milk to 1 cup if recipe is doubled: NOTE: I soured my milk so that the bread would be more moist-I use 1 Tbsp. vinegar for 1 cup milk, 1-1/2 tsp. vinegar for 1/2 cup milk.
I added 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts to the grated lemon rind! I kept that mount the same! I used three 8-1/2x4-1/2" loaf pans, greased and floured, for the doubled recipe and for single recipe, I used at least two 7-1/2x3/1/2" greased and floured loaf pans! Time was kept the same! I combined the strained lemon juice with 1/2 cup sugar for the doubled recipe and about 1/4 cup sugar for single recipe. I cooled breads in pans 10 minutes, then turned out to cool on wire racks completely. I'd baked the lemon bread, doubling it for friends who are fans of this bread! I used to sell my lemon breads and they were among my best customers! This bread doesn't last long!
I love anything made with lemon, this lemon bread is a wonderful dish to make especially when you want something special.