Here's a holiday side dish you can feel good about serving. Kale packs a mighty punch of vitamins, while quinoa delivers a hearty serving of protein. Best of all, the flavor can't be beat! —Lisa Warren, Washington, Washington DC
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water and tomato juice to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in kale and cook for 3-4 minutes or until wilted.
- Stir in pine nuts and currants; cook 2 minutes longer or until kale is tender. Stir in the vinegar, lemon juice, peel, salt and pepper; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in quinoa. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Kale Quinoa Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p52
Reviews for Kale Quinoa Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review