Fennel Wild Rice Salad
This is a salad I invented years ago when my sister's family had to go gluten-free. It has since become a family favorite, and Thanksgiving just isn't the same without our wild rice salad! —Aimee Day, Ferndale, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Rinse wild rice thoroughly; drain. In a small saucepan, combine water and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 50-55 minutes or until rice is fluffy and tender. Drain if necessary.
- Transfer rice to a small bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and oil; toss to coat. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 208 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Wild Rice Fennel, Cherry, and Pecan Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.