Citrus Fennel Salad
I guarantee guests will love the taste of this unique salad. The pleasant orange flavor pairs well with tender pieces of fennel. —Marion Karlin, Waterloo, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- Salad greens
- Remove fronds from fennel bulbs; set aside for garnish. Cut bulbs into thin slices. In a large skillet, saute fennel slices in oil and butter until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the juices, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until fennel is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in orange segments. Serve over salad greens; top with reserved fennel fronds.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 89 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Chilled Braised Fennel in Citrus Marinade in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.