- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the marinara sauce, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into four 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cheese, baking powder, salt and Italian seasoning. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened. Spoon dough over meat mixture; place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Shepherd's Pies
Sort By :
"Very good main dish using ingredients I always have on hand. I think it would be great to make with half sausage or add mushrooms or black olives for a deep dish pizza taste!"
"Loved it! My husband and picky eater kids loved it as well! I used ground turkey and instead of marinara I used canned tomato sauce with italian seasoning, garlic pepper, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, and baked in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Will definitely add it to my rotation!"
"Very good recipe. Big hit with my husband!!"
"Super easy and my kids and hubby loved it. I even used whole wheat flour and it was great!"
"My family and I love this recipe. The only thing I do different is use half ground beef and half sausage. Quick tip: I make the sauce ahead of time and place in frig - then when I get home from work I make the dough (topping) and I'm good to go. I have made it in a 2 quart dish and in ramekins. Personally, I prefer the recipe in the ramekins. With a salad, this makes a nice meal."