- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 8 ounces frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with oil. Wrap foil around garlic. Bake 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash potatoes with broth, salt and pepper; squeeze softened garlic into potatoes and mix well.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, meat crumbles, carrots and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth, rosemary, soy sauce, salt and pepper; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in peas.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Transfer vegetable mixture to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hearty Meatless Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
Personally I love it but I did a few modifications.
I didn't put any celery in the filling and the garlic gloves in the mash. I'm not a vegetarian, so I threw in an egg instead of 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth. I cooked the mushrooms over high heat with no oil but a bit of salt. It reduces the water content and make it taste better. I also grated the carrot instead of having slices. I definitely used a lot more than 3/4 cup of vegetable broth in the filling.
Hint/tip: Make sure you either have a smooth silky mash or a hot mash when you pour it over the filling. This makes spreading it easier. And don't worry about the amount of vegetable broth you'll use. You can use more, you can use less. I used a lot more since cooking it for 10 minutes under med-high heat needed quite a bit of broth since the carrot and meat just absorb the broth like a sponge.
Intresting dish.To save time,use roasted garlic in a jar.Yukon potatoes worked well(thanks mehalv) and used italian seasoning instead of rosemary.Slice carrots thin or use frozen carrots.I used crimini mushrooms instead of portobello and cornstarch instead of flour,easier to work with!I had to add more then a 1/2 cup of broth as it cooked and after the cornstarch mixture.Topped off the potato mixture with italian bread crumbs/parmesan cheese.Finicky daughter liked it.
This recipe was so delicious! I used Yukon Gold potatoes. The rosemary (I used dried) was a tad strong, and I might suggest scaling back on it a tad.
A little bland. Used ground beef, added red pepper flakes and light butter to potatos. Bought pre cooked and peeled potato and din't grill the garlic to save time. I would use less rosemary next time. Hubby put lots of tobasco on it and liked it.
Slam dunk veggie version of this traditional dish. I omitted mushrooms because my husband doesn't likes them. Takes over an hour to prep and cook, so plan ahead, but worth it.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >