- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; heat through. Garnish with sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Hearty Chipotle Chicken Soup
"We loved it! Great flavor for canned ingredients. I even cheated with the chicken on this one. I bought frozen chicken (Tyson) southwest flavor. We did need to tone it down with sour cream also, those peppers are SPIIIIICCYY!"
"This was incredibly easy to prepare and wonderful to eat. I put the onion, garlic and chipotle peppers along with the sauce into my small food chopper and finely chopped all that good stuff together. I added all that to the oil in the pan along with 1/2 of a seeded jalape?o pepper (only canned tomatoes I buy are petite-diced) for some more spice. Salted all that until the onion was tender, then pretty much followed the rest of the recipe. I did take cherikzalger's suggestion and added some lime juice just before serving. Next time will substitute black beans; neither DH nor I cared for the pinto beans in this dish. Other than that minor flaw, outstanding!"
"We loved this soup. We really needed the sour cream to tame it down a bit, and the fresh cilantro was the best part."
"Love this soup."
"I had some leftover chipotles in adobo sauce from another recipe, and decided to try this out. It was perfectly spicy. If I make it again, I will leave out the chicken, I don't think it added anything and the beans and corn make it hearty enough."