Golden Catfish Fillets Recipe
This is my favorite way to prepare fresh fish. The fillets cook up moist with an irresistible crisp, golden coating. Whether your fish comes from a nearby lake or the grocery store, it makes a terrific summer meal. -Tammy Moore-Worthington, Artesia, New Mexico
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets (8 ounces each)
- Canola oil
- Lemon or lime wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg white until foamy; add milk and mix well. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, cayenne and pepper. Dip fillets in milk mixture, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1/4 in of oil in a large skillet; fry fish over medium-high for 3-4 minutes on each side or until it flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with lemon or lime if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Golden Catfish Fillets in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Golden Catfish Fillets(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2009
Love this recipe. I use the larger amount of pepper. Tastes awesome on a nice light bun with cheese and lettuce.