Fried Bluegill Fillets
"The secret to this recipe is double-dipping the fish fillets," writes Doug Wright of Maize, Kansas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 pounds bluegill or crappie fillets
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs. Dip fillets in eggs, then coat with crumb mixture. Dip again in eggs and crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook fillets in batches in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork, adding oil as needed.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 473 calories, 29g fat (7g saturated fat), 325mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Fried Bluegill Fillets in Taste of Home October/November 2004