Golden Fish Cakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound flaked cooked whitefish, cod or haddock
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Tartar sauce and lemon wedges, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; mix well. Shape into 12 patties, adding additional water if needed; coat with the Italian bread crumbs. In a large skillet, cook the patties in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemon if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 347 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 7, 2018
Great way to use up Talapia from a dinner night before. I added lemon juice in place of water and to kick it up, sprinkled cayenne pepper right before dredging in panko.
Aug 12, 2014
Mixture was a little too wet to form into patties but even though they didn't hold together well, they tasted great! I used leftover halibut from a meal of fish tacos.
May 31, 2014
I just loved this recipe, I have been looking for a recipe for fishcakes and no one seems to be able to connect fish with cakes, but they were delicious. thank you.
May 21, 2013
This was great
Apr 5, 2012
This wasn't bad although I had to add way more breadcrumbs to make it stick. If I do again I won't put any water in the mixture. Added parmesan and a bunch of other seasonings - I can just never resist! But they were somewhat of a nightmare to shape into patties and I felt like I had more of the stuff on my hands than got onto the skillet. I definitely don't think I'm a fishcake person. They tasted good though.
Dec 29, 2011
EXCELLENT! Used tilapia and added parmesan (per other reviewer's suggestion) and some dry bread crumbs to the fish patties before coating to get them to stick together better. Also used a mixture of cornmeal and italian bread crumbs for the coating. VERY TASTY!!
Jun 23, 2010
I do not like fishy tasting fish and I made these for my husband and used pollack and I would make them every week they are great
Feb 21, 2010
I make this a lot for my family. I do add parmesan cheese to it.
Feb 20, 2010
These were even better than I expected.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.