Flavorful Catfish Fillets
"This is the best catfish ever!" applauds Ellen De Munnik of Chesterfield, Michigan. "It's fast to prepare...and the cayenne adds a little zip," Her golden cornmeal and herb coating keeps the fillets moist and gives them traditional appeal without the fat that comes from frying.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon each salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, whisk buttermilk and mustard until smooth. In another bowl, combine the cornmeal and seasonings. Dip fillets into buttermilk mixture, then into cornmeal mixture.
- Place 1 in. apart on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Place rack on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lemon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Flavorful Catfish Fillets in Light & Tasty April/May 2001