Gingerbread Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy; add the buttermilk, molasses and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg white and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Quickly spoon onto a preheated waffle iron. Bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8 waffles.
Reviews for Gingerbread Buttermilk Waffles(3)
Sort By :
Wow, so yummy! I made these today and quadrupled the recipe so I could freeze a bunch that my family could eat for breakfast. I used 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch just because. I also only used 3/4 cup of molasses and used only 3 tablespoons of brown sugar for a quadruple batch, WoW! Yes, it tastes fine. I also did not seperate the eggs, who has time for that? Instead of melted butter I used about a 1/4 cup of applesauce and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Very good, nice spicy flavor to keep waffles interesting. Great warmed up, they make me crave winter even more.
I make this every Christmas without fail.
These were a big hit for Sunday brunch. Not too sweet or spicy. Chewy texture reminded everyone of waffle cones. Will be making these again over the holidays!
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Brunch Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- German Breakfast Recipes >