- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy; add the buttermilk, molasses and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg white and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Quickly spoon onto a preheated waffle iron. Bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8 waffles.
Reviews for Gingerbread Buttermilk Waffles
Sort By :
"Wow, so yummy! I made these today and quadrupled the recipe so I could freeze a bunch that my family could eat for breakfast. I used 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch just because. I also only used 3/4 cup of molasses and used only 3 tablespoons of brown sugar for a quadruple batch, WoW! Yes, it tastes fine. I also did not seperate the eggs, who has time for that? Instead of melted butter I used about a 1/4 cup of applesauce and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Very good, nice spicy flavor to keep waffles interesting. Great warmed up, they make me crave winter even more."
"I make this every Christmas without fail."
"These were a big hit for Sunday brunch. Not too sweet or spicy. Chewy texture reminded everyone of waffle cones. Will be making these again over the holidays!"