"When our daughters graduated from college, my husband and I made recipe books for their closest friends," says Dianne Hennis of King George, Virginia. "This dish was a big hit."
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Crumble the beef into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Add onion and green pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 4-1/2 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring every 2 minutes; drain.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and chili powder. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in rice.
- Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and let stand for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and microwave on high for another minute or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Gaucho Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p65
Reviews for Gaucho Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review