- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 loaves French bread (1 pound each), split and toasted
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Combine beef base and thyme; rub over roast and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper; pour over roast. Add water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a cutting board; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice meat.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread mustard over bread. Top each bottom with three slices cheese; layer with beef, remaining cheese, mushrooms and reserved onion. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into four slices; serve with reserved juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for French Dip au Jus
Sort By :
Loving these french dip sandwiches! Super easy & delicious! Check out my full review: http://heatskitchen.blogspot.com/2014/05/french-dip-au-jus.html
My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this recipe! The only bad part was I had my wisdom teeth taken put yesterday so it was a little hard to eat.. But very juicy and tender meat! We used Hoagie rolls instead.. Delicious :)
If you make this with reduced-sodium beef base (found it on amazon) and low-sodium soy sauce you can save almost 600 mg. of sodium.
Good Lord!!Look at the amount of sodium in one sandqitch...I don't care how good it is-it is certainly not healthy and really bad for anyone with high blood pressure.
This is the only way I will ever make French Dips again, it's awesome. Thank you~