Freezer Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 9 large), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with butter. Beat in the sour cream, cream cheese, onion powder, salt and pepper. Transfer 1-1/2 cups to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- Cool remaining mashed potatoes. Freeze in 1-1/2-cup portions for up to 6 months.
- To use frozen potatoes: Thaw in the refrigerator. Bake as directed. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Freezer Mashed Potatoes(3)
Sort By :
I was very leery about freezing potatoes. I pulled a batch out of the freezer when I had company and got really nervous when I started to heat them in the microwave. They were very watery! However I kept heating them for a couple minutes at a time and gave them a stir. In the end they thickened up and were fabulous! My guest didn't even know they were frozen. I'm making my third batch now.
I was leery about freezing potatoes but they tasted just as fresh as the day I made them. I work long hours and it is really nice to have my daughter grab frozen meals out of the freezer and have them ready by the time I get home.
I have made this recipe for years but never realized that the potatoes could be frozen in smaller batches. The potatoes taste like the twice-baked ones you get at restaurants and the beauty of the dish is they hold up very well when gravy is poured on them.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >