Mashed Potato Stuffing
It wouldn't be Christmas in our family without this satisfying stuffing made from potatoes. My mother-in-law shared the recipe years ago, and I've since passed it on to our grown children.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 8 cups riced cooked potatoes
- 4 cups fine soft bread crumbs
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and crumbs; set aside. In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; add to potato mixture. Stir in egg substitute, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Just before baking, stuff turkey. Skewer and fasten openings. Tie drumsticks together. Place with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing.
Editor's Note: Stuffing may also be baked in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 735 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 221mg cholesterol, 998mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 73g protein.
Originally published as Potato Stuffing in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Nov 22, 2013
This is the same recipe my mother always used. But we would chop up the cooked giblets and add to the stuffing. This was always a moist tasty stuffing which spoiled me whenever we ate anywhere else it was never the same.