Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 slices white bread, torn
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread, potatoes and parsley. Spoon into a greased 1-qt. casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 135 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
Our family has been making this PA Dutch dish for generations.... it's yummy! I add about a half bag of seasoned croutons/stuffing mix instead of plain bread, and poultry seasoning to taste. I start with fresh potatoes, not leftovers, so add milk or cream to make it the desired consistency. Stir a couple of times while baking so it doesn't get too brown on the sides.
Oct 30, 2015
I had leftover mashed potatoes, and needed a side dish for ham. I added eggs and used a lot more bread. Any way you make it, it's a good side.
Oct 17, 2015
my mom always made this with our turkey at thanksgiving but with the addition of sage and poultry seasoning diced celery and onion and grounds cooked chicken livers and gizzards this make a really delicious stuffing and better reheated later
Feb 27, 2012
Really good! Great way to use leftover mashed potatoes. I added about 2 T of dried sage to make it more to my husband & my liking.
Sep 16, 2010
Made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. My daughter does not like mashed potatoes, but she really enjoyed this dish. Had some leftovers and today I made potato cakes fried in butter. Very tasty.
Nov 23, 2009
I have been making this recipe for many years but the only difference is that I use some thyme leaves and my family just loves it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.