Mashed Winter Squash
Frozen cooked squash and a microwave make quick work of assembling this colorful side dish. Each creamy bite features the subtle blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cooked winter squash
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place squash in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes or until heated through, stirring after 5 minutes. Add the sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; mix well.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 119 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Mashed Winter Squash in 2003 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.