Creamy Rutabaga Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups cubed peeled rutabagas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream and minced fresh chives
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the rutabagas, rice, water and 2-1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-35 minutes or until rutabagas are tender.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper and remaining broth; heat through (do not boil). Garnish servings with sour cream and chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Rutabaga Soup(2)
Sort By :
I made this for Thanksgiving thinking there would be plenty left over! Boy was I wrong! This was gobbled up in no time! Fantastic flavor and I don't like rutabagas!!!
This soup is amazing! Easily in my top 5 soups ever-the family loved it. I added 1/4 cup more water as the rutabaga and rice were cooking because I was afraid there wasn't enough liquid. I also used 1 can of 2% cream instead of the whole milk.