- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted, adding additional milk to reach desired consistency.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
"I love this recipe! I've made this recipe several times and have gotten many compliments. I agree with other reviews in that the sauce is thick, but it's very delicious. This is definitely a keeper :D"
"really enjoyed added gouda cheese"
"I should have read the reviews with this one. The sauce is too thick and so the end product isn't as creamy as I'd like. It was too dry. For the effort this took, it wasn't worth it."
"Very good with a little tweaking. I added a 1/2 cup of half and half to the cheese sauce and that gave it just the right consistency. I gently stirred the cheddar into the finished sauce off heat until melted, instead of tossing it with the pasta, and that worked out fine. I found it was easier to mix the sauce and the pasta together in a large bowl before transferring to baking dish (11x13 pan worked fine). I also sprinkled a liberal helping of shredded cheddar cheese over the top prior to baking."
"I didn't use all the cheese "sauce" this made. Mine came out a lot thicker than I expected. I will make this again but cut way back on the flour needed for this roux. I almost threw it out, but added almost twice the milk and kept on. It was tasty, but I think it was because of the seasonings. This recipe needs tweaking."
"best mac n cheese I found yet. if you love cheese this ones for you! did have a lot of cheese sauce so I added more pasta"
"This is a quick and easy homemade Mac n cheese recipe. Not one I'd make for company, nothing really special, but perfect when I want a quick Mac n cheese fix!!"
"nice creamy recipe. Makes a lot of sauce. I increased the amount of pasta."
"The very best mac and cheese recipe. Loved it."