- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
"Way too much flour and butter for your roux so I automatically decreased the amounts to half. You could not pay me to use processed cheese like Velveeta - I used farm fresh organic cheddar and Monterey Jack. No need for the Parmesan. Ratios of cheese to milk are also off and needed to be adjusted. I used stoneground mustard, not ground powdered mustard and added Worcestershire Sauce. I took this from one star to 5 stars easily with my tweaks. Let's just say, I created an entirely new recipe."
"best mac n cheese I found yet. if you love cheese this ones for you! did have a lot of cheese sauce so I added more pasta"
"This is a quick and easy homemade Mac n cheese recipe. Not one I'd make for company, nothing really special, but perfect when I want a quick Mac n cheese fix!!"
"nice creamy recipe. Makes a lot of sauce. I increased the amount of pasta."
"The very best mac and cheese recipe. Loved it."