- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
The very best mac and cheese recipe. Loved it.
This is one of my favorite recipes. I noticed a lot of complaints at the sauce, so here's what I've found. You can really half the sauce to the same amount of pasta OR you can add in some extras like broccoli or ham etc. I sometimes like the extra sauce so I will make an extra cup of macaroni to the regular sauce. I was really wanting this macaroni last night but didn't have any Velveeta. I used Monterey Jack cheese instead and it still turned out yummy.
Instead of using the Velveeta cube (I don't like the way Velveeta taste) I substituted it with Cambell's cheese soup and it turned out great!
Was sooo cheesy. Wonderful, no more instant box macaroni and cheese.
I agree with a previous review too much flour.The dish is very tasty but I found the cheese sauce too heavy .Will make again but decrease the flour to make a thinner consistency.