Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (2-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes; add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus. Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup(2)
Sort By :
So good! I used canned milk for the half and half (add a little sugar for the sweetness). I used 2 onions and 3 carrots. I also added 1/2 C swiss cheese at the end. SO DELICIOUS. I will be making this again.
Delicious! What a great way to use up leftover easter ham rather than my usual bean or split pea soup. I put more ham than called for because I served it as the main dish. Be careful not to overcook the asparagus!