- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 11 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil and butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add macaroni; cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender.
Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Easy Minestrone
"Great flavor, easy to make. We also added shredded zucchini!Great on a cold New Hampshire day!"
"Good recipe. I added some salt and used vegetable broth. I think this will be even better after sitting in fridge for a couple of days."
"This soup was awesome. I omitted the beans and chickpeas because my husband won't eat them. I ended up adding extra celery, carrots, noodles and threw in some frozen corn and broccoli that I had on hand as well as a fresh zucchini. I figured that would account for the beans. I ended up adding some bacon gouda chicken sausage to our individual bowls and man it hit the spot on a cold night. I don't think anyone could screw this soup up, it's that good. Thanks for sharing!"
"I joined the site specifically so that I could post my thoughts on THIS delicious soup. It is wonderful! I added a 10 ounce can of Rotel Original with Green Chilies to add some spice (the Cajun in me takes over in the kitchen) and I used Ditalini pasta instead of elbows. quick, Easy and so Delicious! Sure wish I could add a photo of my soup. My family LOVES it."
"I had to join this site just to post a review of this soup. I am actually just finishing off the last of it. SUPERB! and so easy, even a guy (me) can make it. Substituted green beans for garbanzo beans (didn't have any) and didn't use cabbage, also substituted farfale (bow ties) for the pasta. AWESOME! Thank you, thank you thank you."
"What a wonderful soup--I will make this often. Followed the recipe exactually. Nice recipe that didn't call for a lot of unusual ingredients."
"This is amazing. I don't like cabbage so I just added one small zucchini small summer squash some green beans and peppers. This is my favorite soup recipe!"
"I have made this dish many times since I first found the recipe last year. Since I have a family where half are vegetarians and half are meat eaters, I substituted the chicken broth for veggie broth to turn it into a vegetarian dish that all of my family loves. When I bring it to a pot luck, I always take the recipe with me, because I know that I am going to be asked for it."