- 1 cup Guinness (dark beer)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla; whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not over-beat). Remove cake from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Guinness Cake
Sort By :
"Had this cake for St. Pat's day and it was so moist and the chocolate flavor was great!! Will be making this again and not just for St. Pat's!! Big hit!"
"MAde this cake for St. Patrick's Day. The cake is absolutely wonderful. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 CUPS of powdered sugar, not POUNDS, as stated in a previous review. This is one of my go to cake recipes. Will make it again...and again...and again!"
"The cake is great! I wish that the recipe would mention that the whipping cream should be whipped 1st. 1.5 pounds of powered sugar just doesn't make a nice frosting. Oh it spreads ok, but you can't taste the cream cheese. When it has a 4.5 star rating I didn't think I needed to read the reviews for tips."
"Cake is easy and delicious. I made it in a bundt pan and it came out great!"
"This is a delicious cake and easy to make, too. I've made it twice for co-workers and it was thoroughly enjoyed both times. I was afraid there might be a strong beer flavor, but the beer only serves to deepen the chocolate flavor. The frosting is delicious as well. Wonderful cake! For the person whose cake fell: I think you may need to bake it longer. Try another 8 to 10 minutes."