- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 to 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until blended. Pour 1-1/2 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
Place chicken on grill rack, skin side down. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 15 minutes. Turn; grill 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Freeze option: Freeze chicken with 1-1/2 cups marinade in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Freeze reserved marinade in a freezer container. To use, thaw chicken with marinade and reserved marinade in refrigerator overnight. Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Grill as directed, basting with reserved marinade. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chili Sauce Chicken
Sort By :
"Mmm - I love chili sauce and chicken, and this recipe was great! I used garlic powder instead of whole garlic and I baked it around 45 minutes."
"This was oh so good! Since I don't own a grill, I baked the chicken at 400 for 35 minutes. I was skeptical about so much garlic, but it was great, will definitely be making this again."
"I made this tonight, and it was delicious! My teen daughter mixed up the marinade for me last night so all I had to do was add the chicken this morning, then throw it on the grill half and hour before dinner. Easy and yummy!"
"Only minor change I made was to split chili sauce to 6 oz regular chili sauce and 6 oz of sweet chili sauce. That really added some zip to the overall taste. Don't skimp on the garlic, it's key"
"Our family absolutely loves this recipe. I make it just as it says and it is popular every single time even with my picky 6 year old!"