- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- Additional paprika, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside.
- In the drippings, cook the chicken, onion and mushrooms until the chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, salt, paprika, pepper and bacon. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and sour cream until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Chicken Stroganoff
Sort By :
"I added green peas and liquid smoke instead of bacon. It was delicious!!!!"
"This is not the same old, same old chicken dish! SOOO rich and flavorful---hubby and kids clean the platter. What ISN'T good with some bacon in it?! And I usually add a couple of extra strips in there.I DO use fresh mushrooms, however, since the canned kind seem a bit rubbery--I almost never buy canned mushrooms anymore for that reason. But that's a personal thing."
"I made this but without the bacon. Was really nice. I like it with mashed potatoes as oppose to noodles."
"It was fast and easy. I added fresh mushrooms and it was delicious."
"This was fantastic. I think the bacon played a big role in the flavor so I would suggested not omitting it. And for those of you who count calories, according to my estimates 1 serving is about 503 calories. That includes 1 1/2 cups of cooked egg noodles."